Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Blog Post #13

We've discusses why technology in the classroom is a good thing, but are there any problems with it? Read the following articles and discuss what you  learned.


Negative Effects of Using Technology in Todays Classroom

5 Problems with Technology in Classrooms

Issues with Integrating Technology in the Classroom

_________________________________________________________________________________

During my time in EDM 310, I have often found myself thinking back to my days as a student. Technology was used some when I was in Elementary school. We went to computer lab, took AR test on the computer, and would often use the internet to search things. SMART Boards weren't introduced until I was in Middle school, and between 6th and 9th grade, nearly ever teacher in Mobile County got one in their classroom. It was really exciting for everyone to have this cool piece of technology in the classroom, but it was more of a distraction than anything in my opinion. This may be because it was new and exciting, but other technologies were often distracting as well. In high school, everyone had to take Business Tech, which is a computer course. Nearly everyone in my class spent the time they were supposed to be working looking up games to play, instead of doing their work. While technology is always evolving in the classroom, I think that problems will always exist.

Negative Effects of Using Technology in Todays Classroom
After reading this article, I learned that there are several problems with using technology in the classroom. One is that it takes away from learning time. People often have technical difficulties, and this can delay lessons. In my interview with Katie Beckmann, a former teacher, we discussed this. It's a good idea to have a backup plan, because you can bet at some point your technology will fail you. This article also explains that many students have a game mentality when it comes to technology. Because of this, students can get easily distracted when using computers.


5 Problems with Technology in Classrooms
This article explained that some schools may not be able to keep up with the rapidly changing technology. It can be difficult for schools to provide computers or iPads to all of the students, or even just to each classroom. Providing internet for everyone can be a problem too. Another problem with technology in the classroom is that technology can make finding the answers too easy. There are many apps that supply quick accessible answers, making cheating possible and finding answers too easy for students. According to this article, some schools who are completely immersed in technology have lower test scores than those who are not. Teachers from these schools worry that while technology is engaging students on a creative level, they may not be grasping basic concepts such as math and English.


Issues with Integrating Technology in the Classroom
After reading this, I learned that many schools may just buy new technology because it's a good deal. Each district and school has a set amount of money they can use on technology, and it may not be that much. Good deals may lack the application necessary to be translated into useful learning. Lack of money and time may also lead to teachers not being trained in how to use the technology. If they don't know how to use it, the technology will be useless. Lastly, I read that instructional time will be cut short since teachers have to spend time teaching students how to use technology. I know that teachers across the bay say that their students know how to use technology very efficiently and that they don't have to spend much time explaining it, but that is not the case for the teachers I have talked to. I substitute teach three days a week, and I also had to get observation hours for one of my classes this semester, so I spend a lot of time in schools and I have talked to a lot of teachers about technology in the classroom, two of which are Dr. Strange's former students. According to them, their students do not know how to even log onto their AR Reader accounts to take test, even after being shown multiple times. These teachers don't seem to think that the classroom should revolve around technology.

Clip art depicting problem that can occur with tech in the classroom.


I found it very interesting to read why technology can be a bad thing. I think both sides of the argument are very good, but I still plan to use some technology in my classroom. I think the pros outweigh the cons. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brooke! I think the assignment you came up with is very interesting. We have spent a lot of time in EDM learning about the pros of technology, but it is equally important to know the cons. I also had to take a Business Tech course in high school, and my class spent the entire time playing games as well. I agree that it is important to always have a backup plan when it comes to technology. As you said, I think the pros outweigh the cons, but it was nice to see both sides of the argument! Great job!

    ReplyDelete