Sunday, October 5, 2014

C4T#2

This week, I commented on Denise Krebs' blog, Dare to Care. In her post My World, Mrs. Krebs wrote about her picture of her world that she created on The Open University Create Your World. Her picture included many elements, some of which were a tree, wedding rings, two flowers, chalk, books, fruit, letters, and several other objects. Each object represented something in her life. For example, the two flowers represented her children, the wedding rings represented her marriage and her husband, and the tree represented Jesus, and how he brings shade to the world and stands over her puzzle piece of life. In my comment, I introduced myself and gave her the links to my class blog as well as the class blog. I told her that Jesus, family, reading, and teaching were some of my favorite things as well, and that we probably have a lot in common. I said that the website she used to create her picture was something that I would love to use when I graduate and become a teacher, and that kids would love to play with it. Lastly, I told her I enjoyed reading her blog.

The second time I commented on Denise Krebs' blog, I commented on her post, Reading About Learning, Brains and Metacognition. In this post, Mrs. Krebs discusses how it is important for children to think about thinking, which is also known as metacognition. This idea changed all of her teaching. She also discussed how it is important for kids to understand their brains, and how it can change the way they learn and deal with mistakes. She wrote that students should think of themselves as thinkers, and teacher should help them to do this through asking them questions and helping the students along. She also shared several links: Carol Dweck's Work on Mindsets, Whats Kids Should Know About Their Brains, and Mind/Shift. In my comment, I thanked her for sharing the links, and told her that I found the article, Whats Kids Should Know About Their Brains, to be very interesting. I told her that I thought it was a wonderful idea to teach students about their brains, and that it would motivate them to do better. I really enjoyed reading Denise Krebs' blog.
"Thinking is an essential part of learning... Indeed, if you are not thinking about what you are learning, you probably aren't learning." -Jim Knight

No comments:

Post a Comment