Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Blog Post #7

How do we all become learners?

Before taking EDM 310, my experience with Project Based Learning was nonexistent. Sure, I had done projects before, but they always came after the lesson. Before I become a teacher, I have a lot to learn. I want to learn how to use technology more effectively and how to incorporate it into PBL lessons, which this class has helped me with so much already. I also plan on working on how I ask questions. I tend to ask close ended questions more often than open ended questions, so I want to improve my question asking skills. I don't think I will ever stop learning how to be a better teacher, so these are just a couple of the things I want to work on. I also think I have many strengths that will help me through my career. I am patient, and willing to learn knew things. Most importantly, I love kids, and am excited about learning.

An example of a QR Code.
How to make an audio QR Code.
This video explained how to make an audio QR Code, which I didn't have any idea how to do. She explained that you can use this for many things in the classroom. For example, some of the kindergarten teachers at her school made audio QR codes for the books their classes are reading. The students can then listen to the books before reading them.

iPad Reading Centers
From this video, I learned that students can record themselves reading on an iPad, and listen to it afterwards to self check their reading. This is a great strategy to help students improve on fluency. I would love to have this reading center in my classroom when I become a teacher.

Popplet with Ginger Tuck
This video explains how to use Popplet, which is a tool used for Project Based Learning. Ginger Tuck uses Popplet as one of her learning centers, and her kindergarten class can use it on their own. This video is a great example of how students are capable of using technology without hours of instruction. Through Mrs. Tuck's Popplet center, her students can practice their reading skills, typing skills, and learn how to use technology more effectively. This would be another great tool to use in the classroom.

AVL and Kindergarten Students
This video explained that the Alabama Virtual Library is a great tool for all age groups to use in the classroom. I learned that it can be used to research projects for PBL, and it can read the information to the students, so younger kids can use it as well.

Tammy Shirley Discovery Education Board Builder Moon Project and Mrs. Tassin 2nd Grade students share Board Builder Project Prior to watching these videos, I had never heard of Board Builder. These videos explained how to create a board, and how to use it. I learned that using this would be a great Project Based Learning lesson. You could use it for many subjects, such as science or writing. In the second video, it showed an example of a board two students had created. This would be a great tool to use for presentations.

iMovie Logo. Using iMovie and the Alabama Virtual Library in Kindergarten
Throughout this course, I have learned that students of all ages are capable of using technology, but this video reinforced that. Michelle Bennett shared that kindergarten students can make iMovie book trailers, and teachers at her school actually have iMovie as a learning center that students can work with on their own. Elizabeth Davis summed up what all AVL can be used for, and how well elementary school students use it.

We All Become Learners
After watching this video, I learned that when using PBL as your teaching technique, not only are you a teacher, you are a student. Your students can teach you so many things about technology and many other topics if you're open to learning from them.

1 comment: