Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Blog Post #5



Before a couple of hours ago, I had never heard of Personal Learning Networks, also known as PLN's. According to Dr. Strange's post, Developing a Personal Learning Network, A PLN is "those people, places, organizations and activities which enable you to learn." I think many of us have come into contact with Personal Learning Networks before, and we didn't even know it.

Most people from our generation have a Twitter. I created one several years ago, used it for a couple of months, thought it was a complete waste of time, and promptly deleted it. However, for this class, I had to create a new one. After exploring different hashtags, such as #projectbasedlearning, I found that Twitter can be an excellent tool used for connecting with people across the world that share common ideas as you, and broadening your knowledge. This is just one example of a Personal Learning Network.

Teachers can use PLN's to connect with other educators from virtually anywhere. Without the internet, you would be much more limited in who you could contact easily, but using PLN's makes it a lot easier. Something as simple as a hashtag can connect millions of people. Personally, I use Pinterest more often than Twitter. On Pinterest you can 'pin' links or photos to boards for anything, such as an education board, a fashion board, or a home decor board. You can invite multiple people to pin to one board, and everything on that board will be shared with not only the pinners, but anyone who follows it. Through my education board at Pinterest: Brooke Allen, Teaching I have found many wonderful resources for future use in my classroom. I have also connected with many educators and started following their Pinterests.

After looking over all of the resources Dr. Strange provided for us, I believe I have already started my Personal Learning Network. My favorite tool so far is my Pinterest, but I hope I can begin to enjoy Twitter more and use it to benefit myself. I have followed all of the EDM310 staff, but I also plan to follow @NYEdTech, which promotes positive educational outcomes using technology. I will most likely look through Dr. Strange's Twitter to find people to follow as well.
Personal Learning Network examples.
Creating a Personal Learning Network can be as simple as discussing a lesson with a classmate, or as in depth as connecting with millions of people from all around the world through social media. I can't wait to continue to grow my PLN, and see where it takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment