Friday, August 22, 2014

Practice Blog Post

Anna and Brooke goofing off.



Daisy-Mae and Brooke.
Who am I? Why do I want to be an educator? What does an educator do in his or
her practice? What are my passions?


Outline
A.) All about me
1.) Family
2.) Home
B.) Favorite things to do
1.) Hang out with friends
2.) Beach
3.) Hunting
4.) Shopping
5.) Oakleigh
6.) ARF
7. Reading
C.) School & Work
1.) MGM
2.) USA
3.) Work
D.) Teaching
1.) Why I wanted to be a teacher
2.) A teachers many jobs

 Hi everyone! My name is Brooke Michelle Allen, and I am 19 years old. I have a twin sister, Dawn, an older brother, Hunter, and fabulous parents, Howard and Shelly. I also have a beagle/weenie dog mix, Daisy-Mae. I have been dating Kevin Cooper for a little over a year and a half now, and he might as well be part of the family as too. I still live at home with my parents, in Semmes, Alabama. I have always lived in Semmes, and I truly love it here. I grew up with all of my best friends living right next door to me, and there is no other place I would rather call home.

One of my favorite things to do is hang out with all of the people I grew up with. They're still my best friends, to this day. Along with hanging out with them, I love going to the beach. My sister and I go to Dauphin Island every day that we get the chance to. When it's too cold for the beach, you can find me either shopping, or in the woods. I love to hunt with my dad, but I also like to buy beautiful clothing and home decor. Antique shops are my happy place! Speaking of old things, I volunteer as a tour guide at the Oakleigh Mansion. I have been dedicating my time to the Historic Mobile Preservation Society and the Oakleigh Mansion since I was in the eighth grade. I also volunteer at the Animal Rescue Foundation, more commonly known as ARF. My dad says I love dogs more than I love people, and honestly, sometimes I think he's right. When I'm not running around town, I'm probably reading. I love books, and I read a LOT of them. My love of reading is probably what made me enjoy school. I was always better at reading, English, and history, and preferred them over math and science. I still feel that way about them now, but I would love to improve my math and science skills. I think it is important for educators to appreciate and love every subject, and to always be excited about learning anything new.

 I graduated from Mary G. Montgomery High School in 2013, and had no other option for college besides USA. My mom works at the Mitchell Cancer Institute, so I get half off tuition, and I also got scholarships. Since the school ended up paying my sister and I instead of us paying them, my parents made the decision for us. At  first, I wasn't overly excited about coming to South, but I love it now. I am currently a sophomore, and I am majoring in Elementary Education. When I'm not in school, I work as a nanny. I watch a wonderful little girl, Anna, 5 days a week, 10 hours a day in the summer. I also babysit for several other families, and I love all of the children I watch.

 I have always wanted to be a teacher, but working with kids so often has really validated that this is the right career choice for me. I know that being a teacher is so much more than being with children all day though, and it can be a hard job. A teacher has many roles. A teacher is an instructor, a caregiver, a nurse, an event planner, a friend, a counselor, a role model, a private tutor, and so much more. Teachers wear many hats, and it is their job to juggle them all. I am passionate about many things- God, animals, reading, historic homes, and the list goes on. However, I am most passionate about children, and becoming a teacher. I look forward to the day when I get to wear those many hats, and pray that I do a good job of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment